Gluten free lemon and raspberry cupcake recipe
As well as baking, I enjoy running and whilst out on a local fell run this morning I started thinking about this gluten free lemon and raspberry cupcake recipe (I should have had my breakfast before I left!).
I made these cupcakes from scratch but if you don’t want the hassle of mixing all the flours, you could just replace with 4oz Doves Farm self raising flour. Sweet rice flour can be difficult to find but is sold in most asian supermarkets as either ‘sweet rice flour’ or ‘glutinous flour’. Don’t be put off by the name ‘glutinous’, it is gluten free and is basically sticky rice. It’s good for binding so a good ingredient to use in pastries, pies etc.
You will need:
- 113g Caster sugar
- 45g Brown Rice Flour
- 35g Tapioca Flour
- 17g Sweet Rice Flour
- 17g Potato Starch
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1⁄4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 oz stork margarine (the block is also dairy free)
- A teaspoon of raspberry jam for each cupcake
- Zest of two lemons (optional)
- Sift the flours, potato starch, baking powder and xanthan gum into a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale in colour
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and gradually add to the cream and butter mix with one teaspoon of flour each time
- Mix in the rest of the flour and lemon zest. Because the cake is gluten free, you don’t need to worry about overmixing like you would do a gluten filled cake
- Spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into each cupcake case.
- Bake in a preheated oven 180 ̊C for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, make a pocket in the top of the cupcake by cutting a small piece of sponge out of it (big enough to hold a teaspoon of jam).
- Spoon a teaspoon of jam into each cupcake pocket.
The Icing Mix
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract/lemon zest
- 110g Butter
- 60ml Milk
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the butter, milk and half the icing sugar mixture until smooth. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar and beat again until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon into a piping bag and pipe the buttercream onto each cupcake.