Gluten Free Easter Biscuits
I made these gluten free Easter biscuits as part of an afternoon tea. The recipe comes from Doves Farm, is easy to follow and the biscuits are lightly spiced, have a hint of lemon and a lovely crumbly texture.
The biscuits keep well but are very moreish so storage might not be an issue!
You will need:
100 g Butter
100 g Caster Sugar
0.5 Lemon Rind & Juice
½ tsp Mixed Spice
1 Egg Separated
200 g Plain White Flour (I used Doves Farm)
50 g Currants
1 tbsp Caster Sugar
Temperature & cooking time:
Oven 200°C/Fan180C/400°F/Gas 6 for10/12 minutes then 3/5 minutes
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon rind and juice, mixed spice and egg yolk.
- Add the flour and currants and mix into a stiff dough.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until 5mm/¼” thick.
- Cut into circles or shapes and place these on an oiled baking tray.
- Gather together the off cuts and re roll to make further biscuits.
- Bake in a pre heated oven for 10/12 minutes.
- Carefully remove the biscuits and brush with egg white.
- Using fingers sprinkle the spoonful of sugar over the tops of the biscuits.
- Return the biscuits to the oven for a further 3/5 minutes.