Gluten free digestive biscuits
This gluten free digestive biscuits recipe is a creation of my own and similar in taste to the real thing! The recipe is also easy to customise to your own tastes so if you prefer a fruity biscuit, add a few tablespoons of mixed fruit to the mixture. Or for the chocoholics out there, once baked, drip melted chocolate on top!
You will need:
- 25g gluten-free porridge oats (you can get these from all major supermarkets in the Free From aisle)
- 30g Neals Yard omega sprinkle mix. This can be found in Holland and Barrett and is made up of Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Golden Linseed, Brown Linseed and Sesame Seeds.
- 10g milled linseed (I used an Aldi version (photo below) with sesame, blueberries and raspberries which gives it a slightly sweet taste. If you can’t get hold of this, just add more seeds above)
- 130g gluten-free plain flour (I used Doves Farm)
- 25g buckwheat flour (I used Dove’s Farm) – you can just use all plain flour but a little buckwheat flour will add sweetness to the biscuits
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons stork margarine
- 4 tablespoons semi skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the porridge, linseed and omega sprinkles into a food processor and blitz until mixed and fine.
- Add the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and margarine and blitz again until well mixed.
- Add the milk and whizz again until mixture starts to come together. It may look a little dry but the fats from the seeds will add moisture to the bake so don’t over wet it.
- Roll out to about 3mm (1⁄8 inch) thick and using a cookie cutter, cut into circles.
- Place carefully on a baking tray and prick each biscuit with a fork.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 12-15 minutes.
- Enjoy with a cup of tea!
If you’ve mastered these biscuits and would like to try your hand at baking something savoury, why not try my gluten free bread recipe for a crusty loaf that’s soft on the inside and perfect for sandwiches!