Gluten free bakewell tart
I made this gluten free bakewell tart for a family lunch last week and it went down well (with non coeliacs too!). The first time I made this, I let the pastry cool for too long before adding the filling and it ended up a little too difficult to slice so I would recommend just cooling it for 15 mins before adding the jam and filling.
- 225g gluten free plain flour (if you fancy making it up yourself you can use 70g Brown Rice Flour, 60g White Rice Flour, 50g Sweet Rice Flour
- 45g Gram Flour
- 3⁄4 Tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 Tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Egg
- 2 dsp Ice Cold Water
- 30g Lard or Vegetable Shortening 53g Dairy Free butter
- Add the flour, sugar, salt and xanthan gum to a bowl
- Cut the fat into small pieces and work into the mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Break the egg into the mixture and using a fork, mix it in.
- Add the water and bring the pastry together into a ball.
- Take your ball of dough and place between two sheets of baking paper and roll out until it is 5mm in thickness.
- Gently place the dough into the tin, pushing it down into the corners.
- Cut a circle of greaseproof paper and place it in the tin. Add baking beans and bake blind on 180 ̊C for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and put back into the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly before adding the filling
The Raspberry and Almond Filling
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 50g gluten free plain flour (or 25g Brown Rice Flour and 25g White Rice Flour)
- 75g Ground Almonds
- A drop of Almond Extract (check its GF)
- 100g Dairy Free Butter
- 2 Large Eggs
- 100g Raspberry jam
- 100g Raspberries
- 20g Flaked Almonds
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Add the flour, butter and eggs to a bowl and mix together until smooth and pale
- Spread the jam on the bottom of the pastry case and scatter the raspberries over it.
- Take your mixture and spoon on top of the raspberries, filling the pastry case. Spread the mixture evenly inside the case.
- Bake the tart for 10 minutes at 180 ̊C , then scatter the flaked almonds on the top and cook for another 15 minutes until golden in colour.
- Allow to cool inside the tin on a wire rack before slicing.
- Dust with icing sugar
- Serve with cream, custard or ice cream